The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?

Go down 
+4
Strider Zero
Limelight788
Neo
justinlynch3
8 posters
AuthorMessage
justinlynch3
Beast King
Beast King
justinlynch3

Male Number of posts : 4865
Name : Justin Lynch.
Quote : I needed one of these?
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? Empty
PostSubject: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 23rd 2010, 9:22 pm

Starting off, PS3 cost a lot of money, and was behind on sales. So it's understandable some features was cut to make the system cheaper and get sales moving. Now a few years later, the PS3 is selling better, would it be possible at this point to reinstall PS2 compatibility without skyrocketing the price of the system again?

PS3 always kept compatibility to PS1, it comes with 250GB of storage instead of the 80GB max it gave before. If Sony wants to sell it on the basis of being the ultimate gaming console, why not add back compatibility to their most famous system, I mean, what are they waiting for? Are they trying to milk the PS2 sales for every dollar possible before trying this with the PS3? Or are they actually planning never to reinstall this feature to PS3? I gotta say I would be disappointed if they was never to reinstall that feature again.

What do you guys think on the matter of the PS3?
Back to top Go down
http://magadiscussion.forumotion.net/forum.htm
Neo
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
Neo

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 23rd 2010, 10:32 pm

Yes.
It won't happen though.
Back to top Go down
Limelight788
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
Limelight788

Male Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 23rd 2010, 11:19 pm

I agree that Sony should reinstall this feature.

The PS2 has been going on since March, 2000 (If you're starting from the Japanese launch), so there's absolutely no point in continuing the system when all the good games for Sony's system are arriving on it's successor. Also, I highly doubt it's going to increase the sales of the system by much. Look at the Nintendo Wii, it supported Gamecube compatibility since the first day and price has gone down from $250 to $200.

So really, there isn't any excuse to not put back PS2 support on the PS3. I'd buy a PS3 in a heartbeat if I had a job and if the Nintendo 3DS wasn't anticipated by me so much if they did that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Limelight760
justinlynch3
Beast King
Beast King
justinlynch3

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 23rd 2010, 11:41 pm

I actually think it may help on sales somewhat, might not be a lot, but still.

From my understanding, PS2 doesn't look good on a HDTV if you go above a certain size... 30 some odd inch. Where the PS2 system itself supports 480p, and HD is 1080p, it looks crap on large TV's. Smaller TV's I think you can get away with though, but I'm not sure on that. You can increase you picture quality somewhat by replacing composite (PS2) cables with component (PS3) cables and screwing with the TV settings. Still, if the PS3 supported PS2 games, you wouldn't have to worry about any of that. PS3 would just take the game, upscale it and boom, PS2 games in HD. (or at least in good quality). And since most TV's these days are going HD. PS3 supporting PS2 games would save people with HDTV's a lot of hassle right?

And if not, fuck it, they should do it anyway. PS2 supported PS1 games and went steadily cheaper. Wii supports Gamecube games and has gone cheaper. XBOX 360 supports XBOX games (I think, does it? Thought it did) and look at how cheap that system has after gotten. So if all those games go cheaper, so can PS3 with PS2 support.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 12:07 am

Hooray for those who have the backwards PS3! Lol.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
justinlynch3
Beast King
Beast King
justinlynch3

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 12:51 am

XD yea.
Back to top Go down
Raz
Captain
Captain
Raz

Male Number of posts : 1770
Name : Raz
Quote : Who the hell do you think I am!?
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 1:06 am

Hurray for those who have a working PS2 and an 80 gig PS3.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ShaolinAce
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
ShaolinAce

Male Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 2:58 am

Ps2's as cheap and plentiful as they are, I can't see the reasoning of doing this.
Back to top Go down
http://gantzplayers.proboards.com/
ArmorZeroX
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
ArmorZeroX

Male Number of posts : 2601
Name : Just call me AZX.
Quote : "Sigma! You should've studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!" - Zero (Mega Man X2)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 3:43 pm

Strider Pent wrote:
Hooray for those who have the backwards PS3! Lol.

You are correct, sir!

But yeah, of course the newer PS3 should have that feature. It's fucking stupid if you don't. There are still plenty of people who like to play PS2 games.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
justinlynch3
Beast King
Beast King
justinlynch3

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptyNovember 24th 2010, 4:36 pm

ShaolinAce wrote:
Ps2's as cheap and plentiful as they are, I can't see the reasoning of doing this.

Refer to my old post. PS2's and newer HDTV's don't agree with one another to well.

From my understanding, PS2 doesn't look good on a HDTV if you go above a certain size... 30 some odd inch. Where the PS2 system itself supports 480p, and HD is 1080p, it looks crap on large TV's. Smaller TV's I think you can get away with though, but I'm not sure on that. You can increase you picture quality somewhat by replacing composite (PS2) cables with component (PS3) cables and screwing with the TV settings. Still, if the PS3 supported PS2 games, you wouldn't have to worry about any of that. PS3 would just take the game, upscale it and boom, PS2 games in HD. (or at least in good quality). And since most TV's these days are going HD. PS3 supporting PS2 games would save people with HDTV's a lot of hassle right?

This is a good reason for PS3 supporting PS2 games.
Back to top Go down
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

Male Number of posts : 2138
Name : Dylan
Quote : You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptySeptember 21st 2011, 3:32 am

This thread is so old but I have to say yeah I wish all these PS3's played PS2 games and any region PS2 games lol (I can't leave my Final Mixs out lol). I won't deny even though my PS2 still works after 9-10 years I would rather play them on my PS3 as i'm too lazy to plug in another console when needed as I can only have one console set up at once due to my room's setup.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? EmptySeptember 21st 2011, 4:36 am

MulderYuffie wrote:
This thread is so old but I have to say yeah I wish all these PS3's played PS2 games and any region PS2 games lol (I can't leave my Final Mixs out lol). I won't deny even though my PS2 still works after 9-10 years I would rather play them on my PS3 as i'm too lazy to plug in another console when needed as I can only have one console set up at once due to my room's setup.

I have my PS3 and Wii set up in my main game room and my PS2, Gamecube and N64 set up in my room so it's all good even if I end up getting a replacement PS3 if it breaks.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?   Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Sony reinstall the feature to play PS2 games on PS3?
Page 1 of 1