The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Three Hobbit Films

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyJuly 16th 2011, 7:24 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(2012_film)

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

I was wondering when they were going to do this. Finally, it's in production. Long time from now but oh well. As a follow up, they will be doing a second Hobbit film which is amazing. LotR finally returns!

Last edited by Strider Zero on December 12th 2012, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyJuly 6th 2012, 8:15 pm

I've been remiss in keeping the trailers updated. I saw this trailer again in the theaters.

Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Raz
Captain
Captain
Raz

Male Number of posts : 1770
Name : Raz
Quote : Who the hell do you think I am!?
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyJuly 7th 2012, 3:20 am

Yes been looking forward to this since it was announced.
Back to top Go down
Azu~Nyan
Citizen
Citizen
Azu~Nyan

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-06-16

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyJuly 19th 2012, 2:27 am

Any commericals or anything?
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyJuly 19th 2012, 2:30 am

Other than that trailer above, I'm not sure if there is anything else. I haven't seen anything else.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 12th 2012, 12:48 pm

I'm seeing this on Saturday in IMAX. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Raz
Captain
Captain
Raz

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 12th 2012, 4:13 pm

What? You bastard! It's not released here for another fortnight yet.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 12th 2012, 4:36 pm

Raz wrote:

That sucks, man. Well, you guys got the Avengers almost a month before us.
Back to top Go down
Raz
Captain
Captain
Raz

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 12th 2012, 4:51 pm

Strider Zero wrote:
Raz wrote:

Yeah that's true. Though I don't get it. It can't be that hard to release a film in most places on the same day.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 12th 2012, 4:54 pm

Raz wrote:
Strider Zero wrote:
Raz wrote:

Yeah that's true. Though I don't get it. It can't be that hard to release a film in most places on the same day.

Lol yeah, especially in countries that use the same damn language. Unless companies are being lazy with licensing until the last minute, I don't see what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 16th 2012, 3:34 am

This movie...THIS MOVIE! Everything in this post is spoiler free, and only extends information from the trailers. In case you haven't read the book.

Let's start with the visuals, both 2D and 3D. Anyone who has seen any of the previous three films knows that the visuals are amazing. The scenery is well shot and well integrated into the film. In respects to the original trilogy, the 2D visuals are about on par. I didn't notice any problems with the CGI. The 3D was fantastic. I'm heavily considering putting its 3D above Cameron's Avatar. Be aware though, some of the motion blur involved and the fast paced action with the 3D will not go over well with people that get headaches easily. The film was shot with the intention of maximizing "Comin' at you bro" 3D. There's a lot of sceneric 3D as well and it was great. There were times when it really felt like something was in the audience. My dad and I made a few glances, thinking that something was happening for a moment.

The story is well put together, as is all of Tolkien's works. I understand fundamentally how the three part journey will be broken down. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I do worry about predictability from non-book reading viewers. There were some good moments of subtle foreshadowing. The story was translated on screen very well. The filler blended in seamlessly with the book material. Very well done on that part.

The action was pretty awesome. Unfortunately a few moments were a bit too close up and difficult to get a read on what was happening. The 3D rather enhanced the action scenes to more interaction. There was a lot of very intense moments, enhanced by how well the surround sound is set up. A lot of intensity and suspense, which put a very nice spin on it. A few too many startling moments for my taste though.

The sound was top notch. This was no doubt enhanced by the IMAX theater I went to, but it still took a certain kind of sound editing to do what this movie did. When scenery 3D was being utilized, the surround sound would coordinate with that. It was extremely well put together. Like the 3D, there were times when we thought something was coming from the audience. Howard Shore did a great job as always with the soundtrack. A lot of old tracks came up, but many new and they were great. The Dwarven theme was really done well (it's the song they sing in one of the trailers plus the instrumental versions that Shore did). I very much enjoyed the soundtrack and as always, it blended in perfectly with the movie.

Part II next.

Last edited by Strider Zero on December 16th 2012, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 16th 2012, 1:33 pm

Part II

The characters were done well on screen. Thorin was my favorite from the dwarves. Gandalf was as great as always and Bilbo was great as well. The actors were all good as well. Well, I picked out maybe one or two spots of poor acting from one of the minor dwarves, but that wasn't a big deal. Only problem was that most of the dwarves were just there until the fighting. Not a ton of screen time development for about half of them. When there are over 10 people in the main group, it makes it difficult and nearly impossible to focus on them all sufficiently. But that isn't necessarily Jackson's fault. And there may be more focus on different dwarves in the next two films. Gloin was one of the dwarves that I really wanted to see more of, as he is Gimli's father. He may have had the least amount of screen time though.

Let's talk a little bit about the gore. There really isn't a lot of blood shown compared to the carnage that takes place. This is standard for the other three films, and honestly it's perfectly fine that way. Though there were a few things that made up for it, like seeing dead animals and some of the orc designs. The pale orc is "hard to look at" ugly, which I guess was intended. Side note about orcs, they actually speak a different language in this one, which was a nice touch. I think they're capable of speaking the common tongue(English lol), but I don't think they ever spoke it. Anyway, there was little gore, but a little gruesomeness to make up for it.

This film is about as age appropriate as Return of the King in my opinion. There are more "jump at you" startling moments and quite a few shit just got real intense moments. Some dude brought their baby into the theater that I went to. Was completely baffling. Other than that, I don't think I saw any kids there.

Overall, the movie was fantastic. When you get a chance to see this, you need to. Don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes or the people that gave it bad ratings. Most of their complaints were about pacing, but did anyone honestly expect less? If you haven't read the book, you have no idea that it's a single book being made into 3 parts. Without that knowledge, the pacing is perfectly fine for a LotR movie. I haven't read the Hobbit in over a decade, so most of the material was like new to me. I'm going to hold off on reading the book again till after all the movies are out and watched. I think everyone needs to genuinely experience the films with a fresh mind.

Overall, I give it somewhere in the 9.5 range out of 10.
Back to top Go down
Raz
Captain
Captain
Raz

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 16th 2012, 11:33 pm

Well in the book the dwarves don't get a lot of attention apart from Thorin really. Balin gets a bit and so does Bombur, but that's about it. It's mostly just about Bilbo's growth from the timid, adventure shy Hobbit with little faith in himself to the leader of the group, with Gandalf being fucking awesome every now and then.

Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyOctober 14th 2013, 1:36 pm

I re-watched the Hobbit earlier this morning (3AM lol) and I still think the same way as the review I wrote up above. The only thing different is that I noticed that the soundtrack started to become a little non-diversified when they kept using the main theme over and over. Don't get me wrong, I love Misty Mountains Cold and its instrumentals, but it might have been a little much. Other than that, I still feel the same way and my rating hasn't changed.

Anyway here's a Desolation of Smaug trailer.

Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 14th 2013, 3:38 am

Guys, the Desolation of Smaug is even better than the first one. I just saw it and holy fuck was it good. I'm not gonna go into too much detail this time. I'm just going to say that this movie was fucking amazing. They actually didn't use Misty Mountains Cold this time or any variation to my recollection. But the score was great anyway.

The suspense is always there and of course it kept me on edge the entire time. I'm still not a huge fan of the jump out and scare the shit out of you moments, but I'll take it. Yes there are a few of those again in this film.

Spoiler:

Visuals in 2D and 3D were on par with the first. I loved the 3D to death in both films and I think the 3D may have surpassed the original.

Dat ending. DAT ENDING. WHY IS IT NOT DECEMBER 2014 YET?!
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyAugust 12th 2014, 11:58 pm

Can I just time warp to December? Can we do that in 2014 yet?
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyDecember 24th 2014, 11:48 am

Battle of the Five armies was fantastic, but had a rough beginning after the opening act. Luckily, the actual battle was amazing. Also, Bilbo's character had finally come full circle, and so he turned out to be an amazing character. Thorin's final development was great once he stopped being a jackass in this film.

Tauriel (the female elf) was once again a blemish on this movie. There were a few thing that were okay with her, like her final scene and her fighting style.

The nod that was given between Thranduil and Legolas was awesome. If you see the film, you know what I'm talking about.

Everything at Dol Gurdur was boss. Everything.

The movie serves to set up Fellowship of the Ring just beautifully. I am aware that old Bilbo is not in the book, but I think it's a good addition for the movies.

Too many people have been bitching about the films being three films and the pacing and the filler. But once again, I say that while they did not need to be three, it certainly was not pulled off poorly. The pacing was perfectly fine in all three. The slow pacing is used to take in the lore and the atmosphere. They paint a picture of a world.

It's unfair to judge a film only as an adaption. As a standalone piece, if you had not read the book, you would have no idea how much is filler. Everything in the movies are cohesive and almost everything works. The only thing that I immediately thought was filler without knowing was Tauriel.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films EmptyOctober 22nd 2017, 11:27 am

I just re-watched these three all in one sitting. I still feel the same about the pacing. Peter Jackson did a great job honestly. Some other thoughts that I haven't expressed yet.

Thranduil is freaking awesome. I never really appreciated him in "Desolation of Smaug", but this time through I actually really like how he was. He was a darker, more twisted elf. I like that break of stereotype. He got even cooler in "Battle of the Five Armies". I think true to an ancient elf's nature, Thranduil always saw the bigger picture. The dwarves always antagonized him, but he always had valid reasons for doing what he did. And in the end, he still fought for the side of the living.

Tauriel still sucks, but now I actually feel bad for the actress who played her. Apparently, she signed up for the role initially on the condition that there would be no love triangle bullshit. Also apparently they changed the script later on to reflect what we saw while she was too far into the role. I wonder who the hell convinced Peter to let that shit in the movies.

I caught a few moments where the CGI looked bad this time through. I know people gave the films a lot of shit for using CGI much more than the LOTR trilogy. I don't mind it for the most part, but there are definitely some moments where it was bad.

I'm still scratching my head about how the end of Desolation and the beginning of Battle was decided. As much as I liked the "I am fire, I am death" ending, it really should have ended where Battle began. After the attack on Laketown; that's where Battle should have started. If they wanted to keep the run time for Desolation where it was, I would have cut out some Laketown scenes for the extended edition. Then they could have added some kind of opening to Battle that focused on Sauron perhaps seeing the events taking place at the end of Desolation, which would have made up some of the run time deficit for Battle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Three Hobbit Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three Hobbit Films   Three Hobbit Films Empty

Back to top Go down

Three Hobbit Films
Page 1 of 1