The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

rate the last movie you saw!

Go down 
+14
Raz
VideoGPlayer12
Azu~Nyan
Prince Doebler
ArmorZeroX
DudeWynaut
Major STRYFE
justinlynch3
God
????
Superbuu3
Strider Zero
KittensOnACloud
Mishimi
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

rate the last movie you saw! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rate the last movie you saw!   rate the last movie you saw! - Page 5 EmptyMay 30th 2017, 2:04 am

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell no Tales: I'M SO CONFLICTED!

Look, I'll come out and say it. The movie was bad. I can pick out flaw after flaw after flaw. But when I walked out of the theater, my first reaction was, "That was a great movie. Wait, no it wasn't." I smiled through probably 90% of the movie. I loved it. It was highly entertaining through all its flaws.

The story itself was a bit of a mess. The villain's curse was only vaguely implied, his appearance in the first place was very vague and forced.

Spoiler:

Henry is...kind of there. Carina is somewhat likable. Jack is Jack. No issues with him, obviously.

My biggest problem is with the ending.

Spoiler:

Issues aside, I loved the charm of the movie. The fact that Jack was in most of the movie definitely helped that. Hearing the main theme a lot also helped. Oh and the fact that ILM was involved with the visuals helped. Seriously, the visuals looked incredible during the whole island sequence. You know the one I'm talking about. Oh yeah and I enjoyed the humor of the film.

I agree with critics about it being incoherent. But where I disagree is that I was highly entertained by the movie. I fail to see how it was over stimulating. To me that sounds more like "My brain is too dumb to try and figure out what is happening. I'd better go rewatch The Force Awakens to get my head back on straight".

Spoiler:

Overall, POTC fans should give this one a watch regardless. If you accept that the franchise stopped being coherent since the first one and see it as purely entertainment, it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

rate the last movie you saw! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rate the last movie you saw!   rate the last movie you saw! - Page 5 EmptyJune 10th 2017, 1:06 am

Wonder Woman - Good

I'll preempt my review by saying that I'm going to repeat a singular word a lot. Normally I would diversify my wording, but there's a very important reason for this.

Elephant in the room: the feminism thing. How was that played out in the film? Actually, not very heavy at all. Obviously there were a few things here and there, but it was light. Ultimately, they didn't ram SJW logic down my throat, so that's a good thing. I got very scared when they did that whole female-only screening. Apparently that wasn't Warner Brother's decision though, so that was good.

The plot overall was good. It's a classic that has been retold in a good way. I won't go into too much detail, but the plot twist at the end was good.

Gal Gadot's performance has been highly praised. I thought she was good. Same goes for Chris Pine.

The acting was good. The music was good. Characterization was good.

Have you figured out that singular word yet? Should be obvious by now.

Yes, just about everything in the movie was good. That's not a bad thing, right? No, not inherently. And yet...

Here I sit two weeks later, after having seen a bad film and then a good film. I asked myself a very important question. Which did I enjoy more? Believe it or not, I enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean more than I did Wonder Woman.

Is it because of the theme difference? No, definitely not. Super heroes and WWI are definitely more to my interests than pirates. Is it because of the woman thing? No, also definitely not. I felt they did the movie justice by not shoehorning in a bunch of SJW stuff. Someone on the Guardian even complained that there wasn't enough of it. Meaning that SJWs are complaining about the movie in some ways. In my opinion, that means they did something right.

I'll tell you why this is a thing. Wonder Woman is a movie that hits most or all of the boxes on the checklist of what makes a movie good or solid. If you judge a film from the perspective of how many problems there are, you will probably rate the film very high. I'll get into some specifics that I felt the movie suffered from later.

Here's the problem though. It felt as if they did the bare minimum or just over that to satisfy each checkbox. There was no aspect of the film that stood out marginally to me. They spent too much time trying to make aspects good and not enough time making good aspects better. Here are some specific examples (spoiler alert):

Spoiler:

The fighting style of the Amazon warriors was really...really...inefficient. It looked cool on camera, but it also looked like they had just gotten done playing D&D.
Spoiler:
They fought with swords that were meant to be used with a shield and they fought squared off against each other, making them extremely easy targets for swords, arrows or otherwise. Why was there such a lack of shields there? You would think an advanced warrior race would learn how important shields are, especially with a sword that has little to no hand protection.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie. I do give the movie credit for making it both a solid movie that was enjoyable. I just felt that there was so much more potential that was untapped. If Batman vs Superman was an unsalvageable movie because they tried to do too much in one movie, Wonder Woman was a golden opportunity that they didn't do enough with.

Either way, this was a step in the right direction. Also, Justice League looks decent. I'll await that one in November.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com

rate the last movie you saw!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5