A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!
 
HomePortal*FAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
m21out
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 265
Age : 25
Location : Delaware
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 24th 2012, 9:49 pm

I would have to vote Safe Sex because if the kids do decide to have sex (most will) they will know how to protect themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 9209
Location : McNeil Village
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 24th 2012, 10:01 pm

Ideally safe sex, but people are just not that smart. Abstinence to a point is what I think should be taught. People need to be taught about safe sex but should not be encouraged to do so at a younger age.

_________________
Mystic Blogs
My Anime/Manga List

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mysticforum.forumotion.com
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2138
Age : 24
Location : Missouri
Name : Dylan
Quote : You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 25th 2012, 4:35 am

I suppose safe sex although i'm the last person you should ask about non-risky sexual behavior. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big Bird
Second of the Ring
Second of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 595
Age : 25
Location : Sesame Street
Name : Big Bird
Quote : HELP!
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 27th 2012, 5:44 pm

Safe sex. Abstinence is against human nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Prince Doebler
Top of the Ring
Top of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1456
Age : 28
Location : Indiana
Name : Paul
Quote : Know the difference between darkness and shadow.
Registration date : 2010-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 27th 2012, 6:43 pm

Depends on the age group.

Children 12 and under should be taught abstinence.

Any older than 16, safe sex.

The gap? Not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 9209
Location : McNeil Village
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 27th 2012, 6:59 pm

Prince Doebler wrote:
Depends on the age group.

Children 12 and under should be taught abstinence.

Any older than 16, safe sex.

The gap? Not sure.

The gap about STDs lol.

_________________
Mystic Blogs
My Anime/Manga List

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Prince Doebler
Top of the Ring
Top of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1456
Age : 28
Location : Indiana
Name : Paul
Quote : Know the difference between darkness and shadow.
Registration date : 2010-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   August 27th 2012, 7:00 pm

That works. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crimson Bomb
Citizen
Citizen
avatar

Male Number of posts : 31
Age : 83
Location : Behind your nightmares
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 12:37 am

Safe sex.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking we can somehow stop the brain's attempts of trying to procreate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Srylanna
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
avatar

Female Number of posts : 136
Quote : "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..."
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 12:42 am

Well, I think it should be both combined. Like, teach them about Safe Sex, but stress that there is no 100% way to prevent pregnancies and STDs but abstinence. It basically covers all bases. In the end, it is their choice as they were educated about it. That is kinda what they teach is Biology here anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crimson Bomb
Citizen
Citizen
avatar

Male Number of posts : 31
Age : 83
Location : Behind your nightmares
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 12:44 am

Srylanna wrote:
Well, I think it should be both combined. Like, teach them about Safe Sex, but stress that there is no 100% way to prevent pregnancies and STDs but abstinence. It basically covers all bases. In the end, it is their choice as they were educated about it. That is kinda what they teach is Biology here anyway.
They never taught us. I feel extremely cheated in so many areas, specially the History one.

They focused too much on our national history and not even well explained/studied.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Srylanna
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
avatar

Female Number of posts : 136
Quote : "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..."
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 1:00 am

Crimson Bomb wrote:
Srylanna wrote:
Well, I think it should be both combined. Like, teach them about Safe Sex, but stress that there is no 100% way to prevent pregnancies and STDs but abstinence. It basically covers all bases. In the end, it is their choice as they were educated about it. That is kinda what they teach is Biology here anyway.
They never taught us. I feel extremely cheated in so many areas, specially the History one.

They focused too much on our national history and not even well explained/studied.

I think I had a very good and detailed education. The national history was biased at times, but I get the whys of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Empirewild
Top of the Ring
Top of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1545
Age : 21
Location : Hyrule Castle
Name : Cody
Quote : I stil breath on this planet..........for now
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 3:12 am

Teach them to fuck?

How?

DEMONSTRATION!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 9209
Location : McNeil Village
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 10:42 am

I think a better question is at what age should it be taught? Safe sex is ultimately the goal, but it's not something that we should be teaching right off the bat. No one in middle school or younger (14 and younger) should be having sex. 15-17 is a good time window to do it. In my personal opinion, 18 is the general ideal age when it's appropriate to start experimenting.

Empirewild wrote:
Teach them to fuck?

How?

DEMONSTRATION!

Show wrestling videos on YouTube and tell them to imagine that with no clothes.

_________________
Mystic Blogs
My Anime/Manga List

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Kain
Citizen
Citizen
avatar

Female Number of posts : 13
Location : Alone in the town
Quote : It's a bit far, but closer than heaven!
Registration date : 2014-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 8:46 pm

safe sex for sure. finding the right age to start teaching them is hard though. growing up, i knew a few pregnant 5th graders; some lose their virginity as early as 3rd grade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Srylanna
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
avatar

Female Number of posts : 136
Quote : "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..."
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 1st 2014, 9:04 pm

Kain wrote:
safe sex for sure.  finding the right age to start teaching them is hard though.  growing up, i knew a few pregnant 5th graders; some lose their virginity as early as 3rd grade.

I almost got a heart attack and then I realised you mean 3rd grade of Middle School and not Elementary. Education thingy. We only have 8 years of Elementary and then High School. And I realised that I knew some kids those age who likely did it already. OTL

Through high school, I knew several girls who got pregnant and you'd think they'd be smarter than that considering we had covered contraception even in 7th grade of Elementary when we learned about reproductive system.

The main issue is that as much time as one my spend in school teaching safe sex, large majority doesn't apply it because they are stupid teens who feel like they are invincible and nothing bad will happen to them, only to others, and that is the actual issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jason5913
Citizen
Citizen


Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 4th 2014, 12:15 am

Safe Sex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kain
Citizen
Citizen
avatar

Female Number of posts : 13
Location : Alone in the town
Quote : It's a bit far, but closer than heaven!
Registration date : 2014-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 5th 2014, 3:22 am

yeah, i meant real 9 year olds.  maybe it's because i'm from NYC, but kids over here grow up fast.  

a friend of mine who teaches 4th graders gave out a homework assignment where they had to write about what they wanted to be when they grow up and one of em wrote they wanted to be a stripper :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Srylanna
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
avatar

Female Number of posts : 136
Quote : "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..."
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 5th 2014, 3:51 am

Kain wrote:
yeah, i meant real 9 year olds.  maybe it's because i'm from NYC, but kids over here grow up fast.  

a friend of mine who teaches 4th graders gave out a homework assignment where they had to write about what they wanted to be when they grow up and one of em wrote they wanted to be a stripper :/

It is like that everywhere. I saw some kids from early grades of primary making out and I was bloody shocked. When I was that age (and I feel so old for saying that), we were making fun of people we would just suspect of being "in love" with someone. We were merciless children, I admit because we did all tease until the teased one would start crying even though we were all in that position too. But I just find it such a huge shift for a span of a decade.

OMG... I don't even... I know a girl who is a stripper and I don't really judge her for let's be honest, she earns more on her part-time job than I earn on mine, and it is an honest job, but I don't think that is something children should aspire towards. I see it as more of a transition job to get needed money on the table, but I don't see it as career. TBH, I don't even get where a 4th grader would get that idea then I remember TV and internet and it all becomes clear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 9209
Location : McNeil Village
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 5th 2014, 10:56 am

^Most likely a parent watches Jerry Springer where they over glorify strippers.

_________________
Mystic Blogs
My Anime/Manga List

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mysticforum.forumotion.com
donitaly92
Second of the Ring
Second of the Ring
avatar

Male Number of posts : 505
Age : 24
Location : Gourmet World
Quote : Mugen Kugi Punch!!!!- Toriko
Registration date : 2010-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 5th 2014, 12:33 pm

I believe that both should be taught. We should try to cover all are bases because when it comes right down to it teens will make their own decisions. Also everyone keeps talking about it like it should only apply to teenagers, and once you're an adult that it won't apply to you. The truth is that unexpected pregnancies and STDs can happen at any age. We might not be able to stop anyone at any age from doing what they want, but we can at least teach them everything and hope for the best. That is how everything has worked for all time. Someone teaches others what they know, and hope they apply it and pass it on to others. This is how it is and how it will always be. People might be having more sex now then they did 100 years ago and will be doing even more 100 years from now, but the proper education about sex shouldn't be one sided. If it remains one sided(safe sex or abstinence), we will all be doomed to fail because only by combining the two can we have the best chance to succeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 9209
Location : McNeil Village
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   September 5th 2014, 2:22 pm

donitaly92 wrote:
I believe that both should be taught.  We should try to cover all are bases because when it comes right down to it teens will make their own decisions. Also everyone keeps talking about it like it should only apply to teenagers, and once you're an adult that it won't apply to you.  The truth is that unexpected pregnancies and STDs can happen at any age.  We might not be able to stop anyone at any age from doing what they want, but we can at least teach them everything and hope for the best.  That is how everything has worked for all time.  Someone teaches others what they know, and hope they apply it and pass it on to others.  This is how it is and how it will always be.  People might be having more sex now then they did 100 years ago and will be doing even more 100 years from now, but the proper education about sex shouldn't be one sided.  If it remains one sided(safe sex or abstinence), we will all be doomed to fail because only by combining the two can we have the best chance to succeed.

I don't think anyone is inferring that.

_________________
Mystic Blogs
My Anime/Manga List

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?   

Back to top Go down
 
What should be taught in schools: Abstinence or Safe-sex?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» fantage bacck to school event!
» TORA driving school?
» New FIDE Chess in Schools initiative
» Top 5 A Schools
» Top 3A schools

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Mystic Forum :: The Debate Forum-
Jump to: