The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite books

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
????
Top of the Ring
Top of the Ring

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Favorite books Empty
PostSubject: Favorite books   Favorite books EmptyFebruary 4th 2014, 2:08 am

Since everyone here but me are illiterate and watch too much tv, I decide to list some of my favorite books so maybe you can stop jacking off and actually use that brain of yours.

(In no order)
The Great Gatsby
To Kill a Mockingbird (Best book imo)
Ulyesses
Animal Farm
Carch 22
Lolita
Falconer
Gulliver's Travel
The Golden Bowl
Fever 1793
Lord of the Flies
Tropic of Cancer
The Magus
The Eight
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Favorite books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite books   Favorite books EmptyFebruary 4th 2014, 2:28 am

The Great Gatsby was pretty good. Didn't care for Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies. To Kill a Mockingbird was the one with Atticus Finch right? That wasn't bad either. Is 1984 that horror story from George Orwell? That guy is fucking creepy. I remember enjoying Treasure Island. A Tale of Two Cities (I think that's what it was called) was good and Great Expectations had a nice premise. I honestly don't have the attention span to read novels unless they're really good. Anything outside of high school reading I haven't really done except a select few.

That said, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the absolute best IMO and my favorite is Return of the King. And yes, I have actually read the books and the Hobbit. There were some great Star Wars books that I read a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
????
Top of the Ring
Top of the Ring

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Favorite books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite books   Favorite books EmptyFebruary 4th 2014, 10:34 pm

Atticus Finch is probably the greatest main protagonist in literature. Never read Treasure Island. Only out of those books, the Great Gatsby and The Eight were the only ones I was force to read. Other I did on my own.

and I forgot about The Crucible! That was a decent play (Funny I actually played the role of Reverend John Hale in my 9th grade play, I was awesome)

I didn't like the books too much, but that's probably because the movies ruined it.

I would want to compliment The Catcher in the Rye, but I felt like the Holden character doesn't hold up in my eye. I won't deny the success and those who possible like the book, but I just couldn't get into the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Srylanna
Third of the Ring
Third of the Ring
Srylanna

Female Number of posts : 136
Quote : "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do..."
Registration date : 2014-08-26

Favorite books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite books   Favorite books EmptyAugust 26th 2014, 9:38 pm

I like that list. I like that list a lot. I had read some and some are on my to read list. Much respect for the list.

I'll add some I enjoy while leaving out those from that list that overlap with my list.

Austen - Pride and Prejudice; Emma (IMO Emma is the superior book in regards to writing and characterisation, but Pride and Prejudice is more compelling to read and characters are easier to like and relate to as the interactions are livelier)

Balzac - Father Goriot (One of the best books of French realism. What I really liked was how the titular character was so heavily and deeply characterised that he felt real, yet is a representation of an entire class of people. He can literally be described by the word "father" and yet doesn't seem one-dimensional at all)

Beckett - Waiting for Godot (Absurdist play. Awesome to read. Story about inertia and constant waiting for the intervention of the God who never comes as well as unnoticed passing of time.)

Boccaccio - The Decameron (A collection of short stories set in Middle Ages. You wouldn't believe how perverse some of them are.)

Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (I'll just say that it is clearly depicting the direction of today's society.)

Brontë - Wuthering Heights (The story of love, selfishness, social standing, dreams, and how it destroys everything.)

Coelho - Veronica Decides to Die (A take on a you don't know what you got until you lose it with a very good twist.)

Dante - Divine Comedy: Hell (It isn't a comedy at all. Dante's travels through hell where he meets people long dead and his contemporaries. Social critique and revenge so well disguised that it never got forbidden though they tried.)

Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment (One of the best books I have ever read and will ever read. Highlight of Russian realism pertaining to philosophies and heavily focused on social standings while offering a great depiction of Russian low to middle classes of that time. The topic (moral issues for example) it deals with are still valid even today.)

Flaubert - Madame Bovary (Character study of characters representing certain social classes. It is mostly a story of you don't know what you've got until it is gone and never ending want of something else. A story of being constantly dissatisfied with what you have and how it ends. I really hate the titular character. I found she got off too easy and mind you, she ate arsenic powder and died in pain.)

Goethe - The Sorrows of Young Werther (Heartbreaking. That is all I'll say.); Faust (IMO a superior one compared to Werther. Not so much heartbreaking as dealing with a thirst for knowledge and how far one is willing to go as well as the consequences of such a pursuit.)

Heinlein - Starship Troopers (Mecha gear. Giant bugs. And yet not shallow at all. Depiction of a militaristic society of a united Earth. There is a film adaptation which is a good one though not as good as the book so you can check it out. Don't bother with the movie sequel. It is shitty.)

Ionesco - The Bald Sporano (Absurdist play. Remember those weird dialogues from a foreign language book? Now, imagine putting them into a play. The result is very hilarious and senseless.)

Kafka - Metamorphosis (One of the most bizarre books that I've had the chance to read yet doesn't feel bizarre while reading at all which says a lot considering the guy wakes up as a giant bug one morning and novel starts from there. The entire time it is going on it is like, okay, I'm a bug. Now, the main issue is will I still keep my job.)

Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia (Yes, it is childish. No, I don't care. I still enjoy it and find it superior to a lot of fantasy for younger generations that is out there.)

Marquez - Love in Time of Cholera, Hundred Years of Solitude (Books that are representatives of the magical realism genre. The latter is the superior one while the former is easier to read. I enjoyed both greatly as they both had a very surreal feeling to them yet depicted entirely realistic people and events.)

Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (The best ongoing fantasy serial out there atm. The TV Show no longer does it justice IMO, but the books are awesome. The 4th and 5th book are definitely a bit more tedious to read than the first three, but mostly because they are in large part a set up and a bridge towards the last two books. They are still vastly superior to a large majority of fantasy books I know.); Tales of Dunk and Egg (Set in the same universe as ASOIAF, but a hundred years earlier than the main plotline. Much simpler than ASOIAF books and more romantic (well, as romantic as Martin can be) depiction of  life of a hedge knight and his squire who is more than he seems); The Armageddon Rag (Not set in ASOIAF universe. A sort of a detective book but the detective work is done by a journalist. A portrayal of lives of former hippies today as the journalist revisits friends and acquaintances while still maintaining a rather gripping mystery that comes to a rather surprising end.)

Niven - Ringworld (A serial of which I had only read the first book so far. Star travel and how the fat future threat influences the very different lifeforms as well as their interactions. It raises some very interesting moralistic questions of how far one or an entire race may go.)

Rowling - Harry Potter (Yes, I know, childish. Doesn't make it any worse and is still the series that brought me to fantasy as a kid.)

Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye (I know that this one goes against my rule of no repetition, but I will defend Holden. He is an idiot and rather dislikeable at time, but a very well written character. The plot is highly charactercentric, but still depicts the society of New York at that period very well. Especially the lower classes.)

Shakespeare - Hamlet (I know that majority will first think about Romeo and Juliet when Shakespeare is mentioned, but GDI, Hamlet is vastly superior. While I couldn't stand Romeo and Juliet, I reread Hamlet several times. Characters are far more interesting and Hamlet is easy to understand. At times it becomes rather convoluted, but the story doesn't suffer as the question of what is real and what is not is rather well incorporated. In true Shakespearean fashion, everybody dies and boy was it a hilarious thing to read as they all die one by one from their own scheming mostly in one grand scene.)

Tolstoy - Anna Karenina (What Dostoevsky did for the low to middle classes, Tolstoy did for higher onse. Resting on the dual premise that God is the only one who may take vengeance and that all happy families are alike while all unhappy are unhappy in their own way, it depicts three main story-lines of three women in Russian society and their male counterparts. Over the years, through several rereads, I have developed a heavy amount of hate for the titular character but it doesn't diminish the reading experience in the least.)

Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest (Absurdist play. It is a hilarious short play. The interactions between the characters are hilarious and the way the plot resolves even more so. It is so serious while talking about things that are as far away from serious as they can be that you are just drawn into the madness. xD)

Williams - The War of The Flowers; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (Great fantasy books that are very compelling to read. Heavier on the fantasy elements than ASOIAF but just as good.)

I'm sure I missed more than a dozen of books I enjoy, but I feel like I already typed enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite books   Favorite books Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite books
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Mystic Forum :: Manga/Books-
Jump to: