The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing Empty
PostSubject: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 5th 2009, 9:34 pm

I arrange points for each aspect and compare them. Here it goes.

Story: (5 points) Gundam Wing's story had a better complexion to it, but TTGL's was stronger. This is a tough one to decide on. For strength, I will very slightly give the edge to TTGL.

Action: (5 points) TTGL's action was always kickass. However, Gundam Wing's entire series was full of chaos and great action. Gundam Wing gets 5 points.

Music: (3 points) TTGL has great music, no doubt. Sorairo days>all the Gundam openings and endings. BUT Just communication, White Reflection and the other opening are all awesome. Gundam Wing wins this section because of how many awesome tracks are in this anime. TTGL has a lot, but nowhere near as many as Gundam Wing. +3 for Gundam Wing.

Characters: (4 points) Both have great characters. TTGL's badass characters limit to 4 main chars. Gundam Wing's are up to 7. Quality wise, I can't say either way. Kamina is a total badass, no doubt, but so is Zechs. Every single Gundam pilot is awesome. Kittan, Viral and Simon are all awesome as well. This one is a tough call. I tie them so they both get +2

Concept: (6 points) This catagory falls under 2 things. How they set up the mechs and everything else. TTGL had defined places and kept it simple enough. TTGL wins 3 points for that. As for Mechs, both used them to a great extent. I have to give this one to Gundam Wing, however, because the Gundams>>Ganmen and there were a lot of cool mechs involved besides the Gundams. They get 3 points.

With the tally so far, it's 13-10 Gundam Wing leading. I will now go into some details.

Advantages of TTGL

-Defined places and stuff. Gundam Wing's places could get confusing at times because they used a larger portion of places. (+1 point)

-Greater morals. The morals in the anime were kickass and added great effect. Gundam Wing's morals tended to jump. (+4 points)

-Emotion much higher than Gundam Wing's (+3 points)

-Funnier (+2 points)

Advantages of Gundam Wing

-Constant fighting. Literally, there weren't many breaks from fighting once it began. Chaos reigned till the very end. (+3 points)

-Unlike TTGL, you don't always know who is going to win the battle. Keeping you guessing is a very good thing in Anime. (+3 points)

-Although TTGL had unexpected turns, Gundam Wing had even more unexpected turns. There were more unexpected turns in Gundam Wing as opposed to a few in TTGL that were big. (+2 points)

So the final tally is 21-20. Gundam Wing, according to me, is the better anime. I want to note one thing about when these two were made.

When Gundam Wing was made, there was another famous mech anime made same year. Yes, you guessed it. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even though NGE is more well known, Gundam Wing BLOWS it out of the water completely.

When TTGL was made, Aquarion was made. That is not nearly as well known, but it also blows NGE out of the water. Although TTGL>Aquarion, Aquarion is really good too.

So Gundam Wing has replaced YYH and TTGL for 5th on my top 5.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
ArmorZeroX
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
ArmorZeroX

Male Number of posts : 2601
Name : Just call me AZX.
Quote : "Sigma! You should've studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!" - Zero (Mega Man X2)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 6th 2009, 7:47 am

Very well written. You explained why it beat TTGL so why not explain why it beats YYH? After all, TTGL and YYH are tied right?
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 6th 2009, 8:55 pm

Correct.
Back to top Go down
Ryu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Ryu

Male Number of posts : 2077
Quote : This one is for me, Bison! HADOUKEN!

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 9th 2009, 4:38 pm

Is Gundam Wing really that good? I was certainly not expecting this outcome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 12:21 am

I'm sorry, but when it comes to mecha anime for me, it's Evangelion, THEN Gurren Lagann, THEN Gundam Wing, and here's why.

Gundam Wing may have complex characters, and it may have great action sequences, but I never cared nearly as much for the Gundam Wing characters, any of them, as I did the characters of Evangelion or Gurren Lagann. The characters felt more real to me there. Sure, Wing has some great moments, a great plot, and heavy political commentary, but it just didn't influence me really. I can't say many of the badass characters were nearly as memorable, and, save for Zechs and Heero, I can't say I really cared for any of the characters until at least a dozen or maybe two dozen episodes into the series. They were just stock characters for me.

On the other hand, the moment Simoun came on screen, I just sympathized with him immediately. Kamina just attracted my eye the moment he popped up because of how much energy he possessed. Yoko was just so adorable, so likable, you really just fell in love with her character. It was like that way with everyone in that series. It wasn't as dark as Gundam Wing, but it really didn't need to be. It was a throwback to the classic pre-Gundam mecha, while still paying tribute to post-Evangelion mecha as well (I mean, in that one hot springs/bathhouse episode, Asuka and Rei from Eva even made a cameo appearance! You can't beat that!).

Plus, while the action in Gundam Wing was cool and intense, I never found myself saying, "Holy ****, that is completely awesome!" like I did with Gurren Lagann. Every single fight had me at the edge of my seat, while with Wing, there were times the fights were kinda dull and uninteresting. Don't get me wrong, Wing had a terrific, complex plot, but without likable characters or intense action, that was all Wing had, and good music.

I won't even bring Evangelion into the conversation as that is debately my all time favorite anime, with Ghost in the Shell and Fruits Basket kinda competing along with it. Gundam Wing really can't compare to a masterpiece like Eva, IMO, in any respect.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 12:30 am

Honestly, I don't see what's so amazing about Evangelion. It's story was borderline good till like Ep 8 then it got good. Then it just dropped and got a cliffhanger at the end.

As for the characters, you didn't get to know them very well. I wasn't attached to any of them except I was always rooting for Kaji. Sure, in EoE, I felt really bad for Asuka. But really, what the fuck?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 12:39 am

Zechs wrote:
Honestly, I don't see what's so amazing about Evangelion. It's story was borderline good till like Ep 8 then it got good. Then it just dropped and got a cliffhanger at the end.

As for the characters, you didn't get to know them very well. I wasn't attached to any of them except I was always rooting for Kaji. Sure, in EoE, I felt really bad for Asuka. But really, what the fuck?

Really? I'm surprised. I thought it was amazing. I mean, the characters were brilliantly developed, it was a perfect deconstruction of everything the mecha genre had been up until that point, and the real point wasn't the plot so much as the meaning behind it: to stop being afraid of being hurt by reality and to live your life. Very optimistic, and very brilliant. There wasn't a single character I disliked in the series, save for the underdeveloped villains from Seele, and I even loved Shinji's character. He is probably the most complex anime character of all time, and probably the most realistic. The children from Eva (specifically Shinji and Asuka) are how I'd expect real 14 year old children to be if they piloted giant robots, not the kids from Gundam Wing who are conveniently, by the start of the anime, hardened by war and violence. It has a lot of depth to it, and is just all around brilliant. It's a show I can literally watch again and again. I can't say that about Gundam Wing, sadly, although I did love it the first time around.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 1:27 am

I understand that, but everything else was just so underdeveloped. I mean, anime isn't supposed to be realistic and Shinji was just a huge whiner 3/4 of the time. The ones in GW were badass as compared to whiners and just dead personality (Rei).

Oh, and how did you like the ending?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 2:00 am

Zechs wrote:
I understand that, but everything else was just so underdeveloped. I mean, anime isn't supposed to be realistic and Shinji was just a huge whiner 3/4 of the time. The ones in GW were badass as compared to whiners and just dead personality (Rei).

Underdeveloped? I don't think that was the case at all. Everything is perfectly explained within the span of 26 episodes. The story was meant to mean something different to whoever watched it. That was purposely done so the series could relate to people on a deeper level. The plot was fully fleshed out, and no loss ends existed by the finale. Name one lose end that existed by the end. The Evangelions were fully explained, the elaborate series of plans for Instrumentality certainly weren't underdeveloped, but, if anything, highly complex. The entire concept of the Angels is complex. Were they simply evil monsters, or did humanity make the first strike and declare war on them? So much complexity, all of which explained easily. I especially loved the Berserker Mode, which is actually much like Motherly love, not to mention the heavy Freudian symbolism with the pilots piloting the Evas, which are essentially their mothers...along with Rei being, essentially, Shinji's mom. Oedipus Complex, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 12:35 pm

Da Games Elite wrote:
Zechs wrote:

Underdeveloped? I don't think that was the case at all. Everything is perfectly explained within the span of 26 episodes. The story was meant to mean something different to whoever watched it. That was purposely done so the series could relate to people on a deeper level. The plot was fully fleshed out, and no loss ends existed by the finale. Name one lose end that existed by the end. The Evangelions were fully explained, the elaborate series of plans for Instrumentality certainly weren't underdeveloped, but, if anything, highly complex. The entire concept of the Angels is complex. Were they simply evil monsters, or did humanity make the first strike and declare war on them? So much complexity, all of which explained easily. I especially loved the Berserker Mode, which is actually much like Motherly love, not to mention the heavy Freudian symbolism with the pilots piloting the Evas, which are essentially their mothers...along with Rei being, essentially, Shinji's mom. Oedipus Complex, anyone?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 2:08 pm

Zechs wrote:
Da Games Elite wrote:
Zechs wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 11th 2009, 2:29 pm

You do know that EoE was a remake of 25 and 26, right? Not a continuation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 10:01 am

Zechs wrote:
You do know that EoE was a remake of 25 and 26, right? Not a continuation.

EoE wasn't necessarily a remake. A remake implies that each one is entirely seperate from the other. No, EoE was a companion to episodes 25 and 26, which means they took place simultaniously. Ep 25 and 26 are an abstract version of the End of Eva.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 11:20 am

So you're saying it's an alternate reality?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 12:33 pm

Zechs wrote:
So you're saying it's an alternate reality?

The clapping, you mean? Yes and no. It's a different perspective of the same events. It's like if we both saw a home run being hit, only I saw it from the perspective of the umpire, and you saw it from the perspective of someone in the audience. It's the same thing, but we're seeing it differently. Episode 26's perspective is metaphysical, while EoE's perspective is physical.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 1:02 pm

Ah, I see. Either way though, I didn't enjoy EoE. To each their own. I loved Gundam Wing's action, it's characters, it's music, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 5:32 pm

Zechs wrote:
Ah, I see. Either way though, I didn't enjoy EoE. To each their own. I loved Gundam Wing's action, it's characters, it's music, etc.

Don't get me wrong: I really did enjoy Gundam Wing too. For me, the plot was its biggest plus side, though. While the characters were great, I loved the theme of the conflict and all that more.
Back to top Go down
Riku
Second of the Ring
Second of the Ring
Riku

Male Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2009-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 24th 2009, 10:57 am

I watched Evangelion along with Saix recently. Although it was good, it can't hold a candle to Gurren Lagann
Back to top Go down
Saix
Second of the Ring
Second of the Ring
Saix

Male Number of posts : 813
Registration date : 2009-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing EmptyOctober 24th 2009, 11:07 am

What my bro said. I get what you mean, Games Elite, but Gundam Wing and TTGL are a lot better IMO.

The way Eva was set up, it shouldn't have been a mech anime. It would have worked on a more drama and less action-type anime. What do you expect from a mech anime? A lot of action with the mechs. What do you get? A little fighting with the mechs and a shit load of psychological stuff. Gundam Wing and TTGL both implemented psychological things, but kept the title of a "mech anime". Gundam Wing had pure chaos the entire time and had fighting constantly but kept a lot of psychological stuff in.

Eva had a good story, it was just out of place
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing   Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing Empty

Back to top Go down

Anime Comparison: TTGL vs Gundam Wing
Page 1 of 1