The Mystic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where you can hang out and talk about almost anything!

HomePortal*SearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The thing keeping me from playing this series.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

Male Number of posts : 2138
Name : Dylan
Quote : You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!
Registration date : 2010-08-10

The thing keeping me from playing this series..... Empty
PostSubject: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 9:49 am

Is the fact that you perma lose your characters when they die. I've wanted to get into this series for some time now but this has really hindered my interest to play it/them.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

Male Number of posts : 9232
Quote : The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it.
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 11:41 am

If you develop a good enough strategy, you can keep all your guys alive.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com
Sain
Sain

Male Number of posts : 2832
Quote : Of course! We were destined to meet here! It is fate!

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 12:26 pm

That just adds to the challenge. When you get experienced in FE games, you can eventually do challenges like running through with one character, only using certain characters, etc.

If you want to try a game that's similar to this but you don't perma-lose characters when they die, try Shining Force and Shining Force II. Shining Force is on Sega Genesis, Wii Virtual Console, GBA (but a different version, I prefer the original), and there is a port to the PC. Shining Force II is only on Sega Genesis and Wii Virtual Console to the best of my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 2:02 pm

That's also a good point. Trust me, MY, if you like RPGs, you will really like this series. I've played these games more than Final Fantasies.
Back to top Go down
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

Quote : You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 2:11 pm

Strider Zero wrote:
That's also a good point. Trust me, MY, if you like RPGs, you will really like this series. I've played these games more than Final Fantasies.
Well i'm already interested in the stories these games tell but again this is keeping me from it because it'll end up screwiing me over. Doesn't it change some story elements depending on who dies? I've heard "main" characters won't be able to be perma killed but what exactly would classify as "main"?
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 2:15 pm

MulderYuffie wrote:
Strider Zero wrote:
Well i'm already interested in the stories these games tell but again this is keeping me from it because it'll end up screwiing me over. Doesn't it change some story elements depending on who dies? I've heard "main" characters won't be able to be perma killed but what exactly would classify as "main"?

The story doesn't really change (there are few exceptions that are hard to explain/spoil things). The main characters are classified as Lords and if they die, it's game over for that chapter. If someone dies, you can just re-start the chapter without any problem. If you're emulating, you can also save state. The stories are excellent as you heard. The music is also pretty awesome. The characters are awesome as well. If you don't want to take a risk and buy the game, just emulate it XD.
Back to top Go down
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 2:58 pm

Strider Zero wrote:
MulderYuffie wrote:
Strider Zero wrote:

The story doesn't really change (there are few exceptions that are hard to explain/spoil things). The main characters are classified as Lords and if they die, it's game over for that chapter. If someone dies, you can just re-start the chapter without any problem. If you're emulating, you can also save state. The stories are excellent as you heard. The music is also pretty awesome. The characters are awesome as well. If you don't want to take a risk and buy the game, just emulate it XD.
Yeah I was going to buy Shadow Dragon for $12 new but passed it up don't really remember why either this was a few months back. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are both going for a pretty penny. I've been looking into Fire Emblem (the actual 7th one I think...?) and Sacred Stones both a little over $10? Not sure what I should start with. These are the only 5 avaliable to me correct?
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 3:13 pm

The ones in the U.S for sale are Fire Emblem (GBA which is the actual 7th), Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon. I'd start with Path of Radiance or 7.
Back to top Go down
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 3:21 pm

Strider Zero wrote:
The ones in the U.S for sale are Fire Emblem (GBA which is the actual 7th), Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon. I'd start with Path of Radiance or 7.
I'd probably start on 7 first are they connected?
Back to top Go down
Sain
Sain

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 22nd 2011, 3:43 pm

7 takes place about 20 years before 6, PoR takes place before RD. Otherwise no connection unless you want to go with horribly translated SNES Roms/know Japanese.

Fire Emblem 7 is a good starting point if you want a challenging game that isn't too hard, Sacred Stones ( 8 ) is a good start if you want to just get into the series but play it on hard a few times before moving onto another game (but start on normal or easy) because it's easier than the rest. PoR is another good starting point but I wouldn't recommend it to people just starting the series because there are some points where you can screw yourself if you don't know the general rules of Fire Emblem games or train the wrong characters.
Back to top Go down
ArmorZeroX
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
ArmorZeroX

Male Number of posts : 2601
Name : Just call me AZX.
Quote : "Sigma! You should've studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!" - Zero (Mega Man X2)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptyMay 23rd 2011, 6:58 pm

Strider Zero wrote:
If you develop a good enough strategy, you can keep all your guys alive.

He's right. I do it every single time. I can't take it when I skip out on a character or let them die.
Back to top Go down
https://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptySeptember 28th 2011, 3:16 pm

Not sure if ever asked this but is Shadow Dragon even worth the time or money....? i hear it's a remake of the very first game.
Back to top Go down
Sain
Sain

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptySeptember 28th 2011, 3:30 pm

Well if you played other Fire Emblem games then Shadow Dragon might not be worth the money. However it is worth it to try as your first Fire Emblem game and you might end up liking it.

I suggest you get it used.
Back to top Go down
Strider Zero
Administrator
Administrator
Strider Zero

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptySeptember 28th 2011, 3:42 pm

It's the worst of the US Fire Emblems, but it's a good game nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
MulderYuffie
Beast King
Beast King
MulderYuffie

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... EmptySeptember 28th 2011, 4:34 pm

I might pick it up at some point i'm more concentraded on the GBA games and was just curious on what you all thought of Shadow Dragon as i don't remember you all mentioning it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The thing keeping me from playing this series.....   The thing keeping me from playing this series..... Empty

Back to top Go down

The thing keeping me from playing this series.....
Page 1 of 1